This Romanian meatball soup recipe is a delicious take on a simple dish that takes a little while to make but is well worth the wait.
Prep time: 50 min.
Cook time: 90 min.
Romanian Meatball Soup Ingredients
• 1 lb of ground meat (you can use chicken, pork, turkey, beef, whatever you prefer, you may even combine meat, such as beef and pork)
• 1 small onion chopped
• 1 egg
• ¼ cup of long grain rice, uncooked
• ¼ cup of breadcrumbs
• Parsley & Salt and pepper to taste
• 1 onion chopped
• 2 carrots grated, or cut in very small pieces
• 2 stalks of celery cut in very small pieces
• 2 tbsp of tomato paste or 1 cup of tomato juice
• Juice of one lemon
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1 egg, beaten
• Parsley for garnish
Romanian Meatball Soup Instructions
- To start this off it’s very simple. Mix all the ingredients for the meatballs and start creating small meatballs about 1 inch in diameter
- In a big pot, heat the oil and then add the vegetables and fry them until the onions become clear.
- Add about 8 to 10 cups of water, or beef or chicken broth to this, depending on the meat you’re using. Wait for the soup to start boiling, then add the meatballs.
- Keep boiling and when the meatballs are done, they will rise to the top.
- Now, add the the tomato juice or paste, lemon juice, salt & pepper and let the soup simmer on a medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Very slowly pour in the eggs in a steady stream. To make shreds, stir the egg rapidly in a clockwise direction for one minute.
- When the soup is done, add the parsley. Serve this hot with a bit of sour cream.
Recipe submitted by Delia from Pontefract.