What different types of cooker hood extractors are there?


When designing your kitchen, it’s important to think about how the hot air and smells from the hob are going to be extracted. When doing this, there are a few cooker hood options depending on your preferences like where the hob will be installed and ultimately, how much of a budget you have to spend on this appliance. Another consideration to make is how the air will be ventilated and cleaned.

Quick links

The next 2 sections will cover air ventilation.

Air extraction ventilation explained

The air extraction system (ducting) uses aluminium filters to absorb all the grease, which can be washed in warm soapy water when cleaning is required. If you are just using aluminium filters then you will need a ducting kit for the cooker canopy to send the air outside.

Ducting kits are usually bought separately and don’t usually come with the cooker hoods, unless stated.

Air recirculation ventilation explained

The air recirculation method also uses the aluminium filters to absorb the grease, but the air is then passed through a carbon/charcoal filter to clean it and then passes the clean air back into the kitchen.

The sections below show some of the most common types of cooker hoods and extractors available for your kitchen, which are listed in order of cost.

Chimney hood extractorChimney hoods

Chimney hoods are very popular in many kitchens. The hood stands proud above the hob and features a tall chimney that usually reaches to the ceiling to allow extraction of cooking smells and warm air. Recirculation versions of these units are available but if you have the chimney version, then you might as well use it for the purpose in which it was made:-)

On our website you would expect to pay between £65 and £700 for a chimney hood.

Canopy cooker hoodCanopy cooker hoods

A cooker canopy hood is a very simple and convenient way of removing smells and odours from your kitchen. The canopy fits neatly on the underside of a kitchen unit and is virtually unnoticeable, apart from the controls on the underside of the unit. These types of cooker hoods can use both the recirculation and extraction systems to deal with odours and smells, but this depends on the model that you buy.

On our website you would expect to pay between £70 and £170 for a canopy hood.

Integrated cooker hoodIntegrated hoods

Integrated cooker hoods, much like canopy hoods fit seamlessly into your kitchen. But, these types of cooker hoods require their own space in your kitchen between 2 existing wall units. Once fitted, a door is then attached to the front of the integrated hood unit so that it blends in with the rest of the kitchen. The door then allows you to pull open the unit, which allows for escaping air and odours to be captured and dealt with.

These types of cooker hoods can use an extraction system or a recirculation system, depending on your own personal preferences.

On our website you would expect to pay between £80 and £800 for a integrated hood.

Kitchen island cooker hoodKitchen island hoods

Kitchen island hoods are big and can come with a hefty price tag, but if you have the space for a kitchen island and you are planning on doing all the cooking on it then you are going to need an island hood.

Although these units are quite big, they can look pretty attractive with some of them featuring built in lights to give your kitchen some ambience once the cooking is complete.

Some of these kitchen island hob extractors also come with external ventilation and air recirculation models. Air recirculation is a method that is used if there is no way to push the air outside through a chimney system from the cooker hood. The air is cleaned through a charcoal filter and fresh cleaner air is dispensed back into the kitchen.

On our website you would expect to pay between £360 and £1000 for a kitchen island hood.

Downdraft cooker hoodDowndraft extractors

If there is no space in your home for a traditional cooker hood or you just don’t like the sight of them, then there is a solution, albeit an expensive one. It’s called the downdraft extractor.

These extractors are slotted into your kitchen worktop and will pop out when needed at the touch of a button. See the example picture above to see what they look like and how they function. This is by far the coolest type of hob extractor out there and quite possibly  the most expensive but hey, cool gadgets don’t come cheap!

On our website you would expect to pay around £1000+ for a downdraft extractor.

Follow DIY Kitchens’s board Cooker Canopy Hoods on Pinterest.

You can see all the cooker hoods shown in the image below.

Kitchen cooker hood extractorsYou can download a copy of the image above as a PDF here.


Download our mobile app

Looking for some kitchen inspiration? Take a look at some of our real customer kitchens, video reviews as well as advice in our mobile app. We’ll also keep you up to date with any new ranges and offers that we have available.

Up to 50% off competitor kitchen prices

At DIY Kitchens, not only do you get a quality rigid built kitchen but you also get it at a fabulous price too! Price your kitchen up on our site and you could see savings  of up to 50% off other kitchen quotes that you’ve had.

Take a look at our kitchen price comparison page here.

Real customer kitchens

Get some inspiration for designing your own new kitchen with over 3,000 pictures of our customers’ kitchens that they ordered from us.

Related articles

60 thoughts on “What different types of cooker hood extractors are there?”
  • Olesia says:

    Hi. If I order both a cabinet and a canopy extractor on your site, will you fit/install the extractor to the cabinet or do I need to do it myself?
    Thank You!

    December 12, 2023 at 12:55 pm
    • DIY Kitchens says:

      Hi Olesia, we only supply the units. The extractor will need fitting onsite by you or your kitchen fitter.

      December 13, 2023 at 7:13 am
  • Hope Plastock says:

    Hi there, we are a little confused about the ducted extractor fan and would be grateful for any advice. We are planning to have our hob in the middle of our run of worktop along the back wall with two tall units beside the window and wall to outside. If there is not already a duct system installed, would we need to drill through the masonry and fit the duct system into or above the tall units?

    May 10, 2021 at 8:13 pm
    • DIY Kitchens says:

      Hi, ducting will go behind your cooker hood extractor on the wall. The cooker hood would hide the hole, which is needed to vent out. This article shows an example but please consult your kitchen fitter or get them to do this, as they would need to check the walls for any wires/pipes before drilling any holes to the outside of your home.

      May 11, 2021 at 5:35 am
  • Lucy Penn says:

    What kind of extractor would you use if you wanted to make it look ‘built in’ by framing into plasterboard please (a bit like having it set within a chimney breast but without having the side supports)?

    March 4, 2021 at 10:33 pm
    • DIY Kitchens says:

      Hi, you would use a Canopy extractor.

      March 5, 2021 at 6:45 am
  • Ken Woodcock says:

    Hi, we are fitting a CCA71 unit into a wall cupboard, recirculating, do we have to either open the front door before operating or does a vent need to be put in top of cupboard.

    March 18, 2020 at 11:35 am
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      Hi Ken, you would be best speaking with our technical sales team regarding this question on 0197 608 418.

      March 18, 2020 at 12:28 pm
  • Laura says:

    We are looking at using your 900mm topbox to house a 900mm canopy extractor. Would this fit or would you recommend getting the 1000mm topbox?

    January 28, 2020 at 6:58 pm
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      Hi Laura, it may be a tight fit as the internal size of a 900mm wide top box, minus the 2 x 18mm thick sides is 864mm. You may need to go for the 1000mm top box, if the dimensions of the canopy don’t fit in the 900mm wide one. If you need anymore advice on this then our sales team will be able to help on 01977 608 418.

      January 30, 2020 at 6:17 am
  • Hayley says:

    Hi, sorry if this is obvious but I’m a little confused between a canopy hood and an integrated hood. With the canopy hood, would you be able to store things in the cupboard above whereas with the integrated hood the cupboard houses the unit? And which would you recommend as a space-saving solution to get maximum use out of the wall space in a small kitchen? Thanks.

    October 29, 2019 at 9:56 pm
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      Hi Hayley, an integrated cooker hood is built to fit into a unit, something like a top box or wall unit above the cooker. The unit door is attached to the front of it to integrate it with the kitchen and this cooker hood would take up all of the unit space.

      A canopy extractor fits underneath a unit like a top box and would always be visible. This extractor would take up a fair bit of space inside the unit as well, but depending on the size you choose, there could be some free space at the top of the unit and could be the best option for you.

      October 30, 2019 at 10:30 am
  • Catherine says:

    Hello, if we want a pull-out food above a range cooker,is there a special sort of wall unit to these attach to? We want a 900mm wide telescopic pull out hood to the underside of a 1000mm wide top box such as TB1036.

    February 25, 2019 at 11:16 am
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      Hi Catherine, the unit you mention sounds fine, if you give the sales team a quick call on 01977 608 418 and tell them the question and provide them with a product code, they can then check whether the depth is compatible.

      February 27, 2019 at 11:34 am
  • Leola Lillis says:

    We have our hearts set on an induction hob with integrated downdraft extractor, built into the island. However the plumber fitted a 4” (100mm) duct instead of a 6” (150mm) and now that the floors have been poured, we cannot change it. We cannot find a hob that will operate on a 4” duct, all seem to be 6”.
    Do we have to abandon this style of hob now? Or is it possible to recirculate the air instead of venting it outside. We have installed a heat recovery system.
    Thanks 🙂

    February 17, 2019 at 9:43 pm
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      Hi Leola, always consult the user manual for what is required for the appliance. Failure to adhere to what it says could invalidate the warranty. If you do not have the correct venting then it may be a good idea to go with a recirculating extractor that uses carbon filters.

      February 18, 2019 at 10:19 am
  • Lyndsey Ritchie says:

    We are installing a 900mm wide range cooker and were planning for our builder to build a freestanding decorative chimney with integrated extractor above (no chimney walls either side).
    However we are struggling to find a 900mm integrated or canopy extractor fan to fit. My builder is concerned that the heat from the cooker will damage the sides of the extractor if it is not as wide as the hob, but from other customer pictures I’ve seen from DIY kitchens I think some people have used a smaller canopy extractor than the cooker width. Please can you tell me if this is an advisable option? I am looking at your AEG DGB3850M 700mm canopy extractor to be used with a 900mm range cooker. Many thanks.

    February 7, 2019 at 10:06 pm
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      Hi Lyndsey, we would recommend to have the 900mm extractor above the 900mm hob to cover the width of the hob but unfortunately we do not supply 900mm integrated or canopy extractors.

      If you want a nice symmetry and matching lines with your wall units and base units then you will want to purchase an 900mm extractor. Please also remember to leave enough clearance from the hob to the extractor. The recommended safe distance is 650mm for electric, ceramic or induction hobs and 750mm for gas hobs.

      February 8, 2019 at 5:26 pm
  • kelvin kelsall says:

    HI Hope you can help, Im looking at extracting cooking smells smoke etc, from oven bank built into tall oven housings, where we have 900mm double oven | microwave | 900mm double oven, these are situated on internal wall, we also a induction hob under conventional chimney cooker hood (arched glass canopy c/w internal motor) on external wall.

    Can you please advise, I saw pando (E-100) did one for tall cupboard

    thanks in advance

    January 7, 2019 at 6:30 pm
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      Hi Kelvin, I’m afraid we do not supply special extraction for ovens situated in tall units. Our range of extractors comprises of Chimney, Canopy, Telescopic and Down Draft. This range can be viewed via this link.

      January 8, 2019 at 9:19 am
  • Steve says:

    Can you advise on an extractor that I would use in the mantle that you offer?

    October 25, 2018 at 7:10 am
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      You would need to use a Canopy hood extractor with the mantle that we supply. Like the ones shown here.

      October 25, 2018 at 7:12 am
  • Michael says:

    Hi, I’m thinking of ordering the AEG – DGB2750M – Canopy Hood extractor. Would this fit into the Helmsley 918 X 455 X 300MM top box unit? I’m not planning wall units either side so would I then need end panels either side too? Many thanks in advance.

    March 4, 2018 at 2:48 pm
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      Hi, the AEG – DGB2750M will fit within the 918 X 455 X 300MM top box unit. If you aren’t using wall units we would definitely recommend the use of end panels on either side of the top box.

      March 5, 2018 at 11:40 am
  • Ellen dyer says:

    HI, do you have to have a extractors fan, if you don’t want one .

    February 14, 2018 at 7:52 pm
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      Hi, it is recommended to have an extractor to take the smells out of the kitchen, as well as to help prevent any windows from steaming up.

      February 15, 2018 at 8:08 am
  • Jill Morris says:


    Whats the best kind of extractor use when the Range cooker is placed in a a chimney breast?

    Many thanks


    November 5, 2017 at 1:40 pm
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      Hi, if there is a surrounding chimney then you would need to have an integrated extractor but we would always try and have a ducted extractor, as they are more powerful and efficient.

      November 6, 2017 at 10:59 am
  • dale says:

    if I fit a CDA – EVA70BL – Angled extractor, and use it as a recirculating extractor rather than extracted, do I need to install the chimney fitting

    November 4, 2017 at 4:55 pm
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      Hi, in CDA’s product manual it shows the carbon filters and motor housed within the angled section, so I would assume using the stack would be optional, however I would still advise the customer to call CDA direct to get confirmation.

      November 6, 2017 at 10:56 am
  • Jamie says:

    hi, can you fit a canopy hood extractor behind a beam with secured to plasterboard, as opposed to under a cupboard? We would like it hidden but obviously need access to it when cleaning?

    July 5, 2017 at 9:15 pm
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      Hi, you should be able to just cut a hole in the plasterboard to secure it.

      July 11, 2017 at 9:43 am
  • amanda says:

    hi can you advise me please, where our gas hob is situated the ceiling is at a lower height.
    from the top of the worktop to the lowered ceiling we have 1.30m……when you take in account for the 750mm height of splashback (& as i believe this is the min distance between a gas hob & bottom of the extractor) ..That then only leaves us 550mm height to fit an extractor hood in……do u know of anythng that will fit? (ps ..we have no wall units ect to fit anything into)

    May 29, 2017 at 9:22 pm
  • NH says:

    Hello. I know that I want an integrated extractor and that I want it to be flush with the other wall units on either side. But I’m not 100% sure what door to order. I don’t see a normal 900mm long door to match my other cabinets.

    Is this because of the required clearance space above the hob? Is there any way to avoid having a shorter door above the hob?

    April 8, 2017 at 10:39 pm
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      Hi, an appliance door for an extractor must be at least 650mm above an electric hob and 750mm above a gas hob, this is a legal requirement. Therefore an integrated extractor appliance door can only ever be 355 x 597mm or 450 x 597mm.

      April 10, 2017 at 10:11 am
  • Mags says:

    Can use advise on a recirculating cooker hood to go above my 90cm range cooker that does not need a chimney, as I have a large beam directly above the cooker. We have looked at moving the cooker but there is nowhere else that it can easily go.

    February 7, 2017 at 10:35 am
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      Hi, most extractors can be recirculated and the extending stacks are generally removable. If not, you could cut it down on site to spec, if you check with the manufacturer on where the motor sits within the appliance.
      It is difficult to advise on one when we do not know the height of the ceiling, size of beam, how low it drops above the range etc.

      February 9, 2017 at 12:14 pm
  • Emma Stephens says:

    Is there a set depth for integrated cooker hoods? Or are these variable? Mine is 3200mm but most I can see online are smaller.

    January 17, 2017 at 8:27 pm
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      Hi, our units are 300mm deep, so any integrated extractor would have to be 300mm deep or smaller.

      January 19, 2017 at 11:45 am
  • Tracey Spear says:

    Hi, is there a minimum distance required between the canopy cooker hood and the wall units placed either side of it?

    June 6, 2016 at 4:48 pm
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      Hi, if the cooker hood is a freestanding, one that mounts to the wall, for access and installation we would advise a 50mm gap either side of the units. However, some customers do fit them tighter but further down the line you are more likely to damage the units if the cooker hood has to be replaced.

      June 7, 2016 at 9:18 am
  • Missy712 says:

    Is there a maximum height that the canopy extractors must be positioned? I know the min height is 650cm from the hob, however in our kitchen we have really high ceilings so the units are being placed a little higher than normal from the worktop.

    June 5, 2016 at 11:24 pm
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      Hi, there is no maximum in terms of design but in terms of performance for the extractor, we would advise that you speak with the appliance manufacturer and see what they would advise.

      June 6, 2016 at 10:53 am
  • Kate says:

    Is there a minimum distance that I must have between the gas stove and extractor hood?

    April 5, 2016 at 1:26 pm
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      Safety regulations are 750mm above gas and electric 650mm.

      April 5, 2016 at 1:27 pm
  • Shaun says:

    I have a island with hob but unfortunately I h steel that goes directly across the and could not fit the duct in to the steel so I bought a air circulating cooker hood but with the beam so low it looks far to big and can not find one smaller than 45cm in in diameter please advise

    November 12, 2015 at 9:25 pm
  • Simon says:


    I’m thinking of a re-circulating type cooker hood as we are going to have a MVHR system so the heat would be recovered once it was ‘cleaned’.
    Do you offer a re-circulating cooker head that has very low noise levels? So far the only extractors I find with low levels are ones that have the motors housed externally to the brick work.

    October 6, 2015 at 12:48 pm
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      Hi, the decibel ratings are displayed as information with each extractor. Unfortunately, as we are limited to appliances from AEG, ELECTROLUX and CDA, it would appear that we do not supply the type that you are looking for.

      October 7, 2015 at 2:39 pm
  • Peter says:

    Our existing stove is positioned against an outside wall directly below an brick chimney which has been blocked off. Can a ventilation unit ( extraction fan ) be positioned at the entrance to the chimney ( currently boarded off ) and then vented outside ?

    May 21, 2015 at 7:44 am
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      Hi, you would be best speaking to a builder about your chimney. There may be some building regulations that have to be adhered to with blocked off chimneys but we are not experienced enough in building regs to be able to advise you on this matter.

      May 21, 2015 at 7:50 am
  • Chris Norman says:

    Hi there,

    Win regard to downdraft extractors do they use a lot of cupboard space and can they be fitted in a work top with pan drawers below?

    Also if they are only recirculating the air, where does the air vent? Presumably this would be under the cupboard though the plinth or something like that?

    Thanks in advance

    October 10, 2014 at 10:56 am
    • Diy Kitchens says:


      With regards to your question, the downdraft extractor does take up a lot of cupboard space and you would not be able to put pan drawers below it using standard depth 600/670mm worktops, as the downdraft extractor is placed behind your hob, which has to be moved forward.

      To do what you are asking, you would either need a kitchen island or a 900mm depth worktop on the kitchen run where the downdraft extractor will be positioned, as shown in the images below.

      Downdraft extractor

      Downdraft extractor

      With regards to recirculation extractors, the air is just cleaned through a grease and carbon filter and put back into the room. If you wanted to use the vented option they you would need a venting kit and some way of getting the air to a vent in the wall.

      October 10, 2014 at 12:39 pm
  • annie paul says:

    I would like to obtain a hood extractor for my mom her kitchen has very little ventitlation, so it gets pretty hot in the kitchen when she cooks. Do you think it wouldl be best to install a vented as oppose to an air recirculation vent. Would an air recirculation vent get rid of the heat.

    Kind regards

    October 5, 2014 at 5:38 pm
    • Diy Kitchens says:


      If the kitchen gets very hot when cooking then vented would be the best option.

      October 6, 2014 at 8:54 am
  • Hollingworth says:

    Please can you offer advice on fitting Cornell cooker canopy. No instructions within the box or in technical guide. Also best extractor type for Cornell canopy. Many thanks.

    September 23, 2014 at 5:56 pm
    • Diy Kitchens says:


      The Cornell cooker canopy comes direct from our supplier PWS and I’m told that they don’t have an instruction guide on how to install these items. I spoke to one of our sales team and they can offer the following points of advice.

      (1) Firstly you are going to have to place wooden batons on your wall and units.

      (2) The cooker canopy sits between 2 wall units. Get 2 people to pick up the canopy and place it where it will be situated and mark out where your batons will be placed to hold the canopy securely.

      (3) The side batons are attached to the wall units but not cut the full height of your wall units. This is to ensure that they are not seen when the canopy is attached

      (4) Take the board out of the canopy and cut the hole where the cooker canopy is going to be fitted. The page below shows you the available cooker canopies available.


      (5) You will need to nail/screw the canopy now to the batons on the 2 wall units and the baton on the wall.

      (6) Finally, don’t forget to plug the canopy into a power socket before you finally screw it into position:-)

      I hope this helps

      September 25, 2014 at 9:06 am
  • Lynn Worth says:

    You advise that a canopy cooker hood can be fitted to a kitchen unit, is it a top box that is usually used for this?


    September 8, 2014 at 10:55 am
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      Hi, a top box would be the best option to house a canopy cooker hood.

      September 15, 2014 at 10:54 am
Leave A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.