Do your sink base units have a back panel?


Quite a popular question that we get asked is “Do you have back panels on your sink base units and if so, do the back panels on the sink base units come fixed or do they come apart easy, to aid in cutting around pipe work and water meters etc?”

Well, our sink base units are made slightly differently to other base units and come with 3/4 high back panels.

This means that there is a small opening at the back of the unit, right at the top, to aid with plumbing and drainage.

Sink base unit open back

The back panels that are fitted to these sink base units are fixed into position. However, the back panel is 8mm thick, so it can be easily cut into shape if required to accommodate plumbing pipes etc.

Different types of sink base unit

As well as the backs of the sink units being made differently, there are also quite a few different types of sink base units that allow you to blend it in with the rest of your kitchen.

There are single units, double units, corner units, drawer line and pan drawer sink units that are all available to house the plumbing below your sink and provide some additional storage too.

Take a look at the images below to see how these types of sink units could look in your home.

Sink base unit 1

Sink base unit 2

Sink base unit 3

Sink base unit 4

Sink base unit 5

Sink base unit 6

Sink base unit 7

Sink base unit 8

Sink base unit 9


All our sink base units are available on our main site here.


Download our mobile app

Looking for some kitchen inspiration? Take a look at some of our real customer kitchens, video reviews as well as advice in our mobile app. We’ll also keep you up to date with any new ranges and offers that we have available.

Up to 50% off competitor kitchen prices

At DIY Kitchens, not only do you get a quality rigid built kitchen but you also get it at a fabulous price too! Price your kitchen up on our site and you could see savings  of up to 50% off other kitchen quotes that you’ve had.

Take a look at our kitchen price comparison page here.

Real customer kitchens

Get some inspiration for designing your own new kitchen with over 3,000 pictures of our customers’ kitchens that they ordered from us.

Related articles

22 thoughts on “Do your sink base units have a back panel?”
  • anna Pirie says:

    Hi I would like to use a 600mm cabinet for an under mount sink with a pullout drawer but can’t see one on the website . Is this possible?

    March 26, 2023 at 3:47 pm
    • DIY Kitchens says:

      Hi Anna, we do not have a 600mm wide sink with pan drawer, the pull out sink base unit starts from 800mm wide.

      If you are selecting an undermount sink in a pull out sink base unit, it would be recommended to go for a SBP2D1-8, as this allows for the sink to be fitted without hitting onto the wire basket.

      This is stated in the description against that particular unit.

      Please Note – Sinks selected to be used in the above cabinet should not protrude down more that 235mm from the top edge of the cabinet to avoid clashes with the sink drawer.

      March 28, 2023 at 6:09 am
  • Tom says:

    With feet attached, at what height does the 3/4 back panel finish?

    March 12, 2022 at 6:15 pm
    • DIY Kitchens says:

      Hi, the backing panels are 500mm high + 150mm carcase legs, so it would be 650mm high.

      March 14, 2022 at 2:34 pm
  • Andrew says:

    Do the back panels slide out with ready assembled sink units or will I after request dry assembled to fit around pipe work and water meter

    February 6, 2022 at 10:05 pm
    • DIY Kitchens says:

      Hi, the back panels on sink units are only 3/4 the size of normal panels (gap at the top) and are stapled into position. You would need to request the unit dry assembled.

      February 7, 2022 at 7:03 am
  • Michael Tovey says:

    We have had a carerra 600mm sink base unit delivered but there is a panel on the tip at the front of the unit which is too deep to fit a sink in. Is this designed to be cut to size? the same issue applies to your other base units – I would need to cut the top panel to recess the hob.

    September 24, 2021 at 1:35 pm
    • DIY Kitchens says:

      Hi, when fitting sinks & hobs, some modification to the top bar is required to fit the item. Cut Outs

      September 27, 2021 at 6:58 am
  • Fiona says:

    Hi I need to buy a basic sink unit for my utility room and then run a worktop along the top to extend across the tops of two appliances. Please can you let me know how to finish off under the ends of the worktop to keep it all stable. I cant find any end panels on your site.


    April 27, 2019 at 6:18 am
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      Hi Fiona, you would need base end panels at either end to support the worktop and probably wooden battons on the wall to help support the weight of the worktops as well. All our base end panels will be shown on this page here, once you have selected a door style from the top of our websit.

      April 29, 2019 at 9:14 am
  • Lucy says:

    I would like an 800mm sink unit with bins underneath. We could do this with a single pan draw holding bins that were the right height below the sink – but you don’t sell the sink unit with a single draw only 2 draws. What could we do in this situation?

    February 9, 2019 at 11:12 pm
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      Hi Lucy, apologies but we do not supply the unit you mentioned or sink units with bins in, as the pipework would get in the way. If you would like to try and put a bin in the unit if you feel you will have room and have moved all the pipes to allow it, then you can order a bin separately on our website here.

      February 11, 2019 at 10:01 am
  • Megan Weston says:

    I’m interested in buying a 900 wide sink base unit with pan drawers (ref SBP2D0-9). We are wanting to use an undermounted single sink in the unit. However, I noticed on the description that this doesn’t accommodate sinks deeper than 160mm? The only sinks I can find shallower than 160mm are half size sinks at around 130mm deep so I wanted to check if this is correct? It seems odd that it wouldn’t accommodate a ‘standard’ sink depth of around 180-200mm?

    July 28, 2018 at 3:39 pm
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      Hi Megan, you would need to use an inset sink with this sink unit, undermount sinks would not usually be compatible in height with this unit. The inset sinks will have the extra height of the worktop i.e. if you are having a 30mm thick worktop you are able to use a sink which is 190mm in height.

      July 30, 2018 at 12:36 pm
  • Jono says:

    Is it possible to use a standard high line double base unit 600mm wide in which to put an over mounted sink bowl? (Rather than a specific “sink unit base”) I would cut the back of the standard unit to make space for pipes etc

    June 8, 2018 at 9:28 am
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      Hi Jono, yes, the only difference between a sink unit and a standard unit is a lowered back panel, so if you prefer to lower the back panel on site then this would be fine.

      June 8, 2018 at 9:29 am
  • Si says:

    If I order a sink base unit, dry assembled, does it come without staples on the back panel or is the back panel loose?

    June 6, 2018 at 3:57 pm
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      Hi Si, the back panel is not stapled but just slides in and out if dry assembled.The back of the unit is plowed to allow the back panel to be adjusted.

      June 6, 2018 at 3:57 pm
  • ron rogers says:

    hi a simple question , I am just measuring up and want an undercounter fridge. I presume I do not buy a cabinet for this. I leave a 600mm gap and buy a door to cover the fridge. do I have to put the hinges on the next cabinet to cover the fridge and hire a hinge fitter to get the measurements right.

    November 20, 2017 at 11:31 am
    • Diy Kitchens says:

      Hi, an integrated fridge just needs an appliance door and space between 2 units to fit into. The door attaches to the fridge front, so no additional hinges are necessary.

      November 20, 2017 at 11:51 am
      • Miles says:

        When fitting an under counter freezer, can I run plinth straight across the bottom of it, or does it need to be vented?

        November 20, 2017 at 12:10 pm
      • Diy Kitchens says:

        Hi, yes you run the plinth across the front. There will be a vent but this goes in the plinth (check the user manual and it will advise what kind/size of vent is required.)

        November 21, 2017 at 9:22 am
Leave A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.