Here is my recipe for a tasty Lemon Sponge Cake. Bake it, cut yourself a huge slice and make a mug of tea and enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Lemon Sponge Cake Ingredients
- 4 eggs
- 225g/8oz caster sugar
- 225g/8oz self raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 225g/8oz soft butter at room temperature, plus a little extra to grease the tins
- Jar of Lemon Curd
- Lemon Buttercream icing (make with butter, icing sugar, Sicilian lemon flavouring and yellow food colouring)
- Icing sugar to dust
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Grease 2 x 20cm/8in sandwich tins by rubbing a little butter around the inside of the tins until the sides and base are lightly coated.
- Break the eggs into a large mixing bowl, then add the sugar, flour, baking powder and butter.
- Mix everything together until well combined..
- Place the tins on the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- The cakes are done when they’re golden-brown and coming away from the edge of the tins carefully turn the cakes out onto a cooling rack.
- To assemble the cake, place one cake upside down onto a plate and spread it with plenty of lemon curd (buy a pre bought lemon curd in a jar, the Sainsbury’s one is lovely), then pipe the
- Lemon flavoured and coloured butter icing over the lemon curd .
- Top with the second cake, top-side up. Sprinkle over some icing sugar.
- Cut yourself a huge slice, make a mug of tea and enjoy!
Recipe submitted by Ceri from London.