Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 120 min
Romanian Beef Salad known as Salata de boeuf in Romania, is a traditional beef salad made for Easter, Christmas and New Year’s Eve. It can be served as a side for your main meal, or you can just have it on it’s own, but a bigger portion:-)
Romanian Beef Salad Ingredients
- 2 lbs beef or turkey (white or dark)
- 280 grams frozen peas
- 1 jar pickles, once they are chopped you’ll need about 420 grams of diced pickles, the more the better
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled
- 1 lb carrots, peeled
- 140ml to 280ml of mayonnaise
- 70 grams of mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
Romanian Beef Salad Instructions
- Boil the beef for about 2 hours, or use a pressure cooker to finish faster. It needs to be very tender. If using turkey or chicken, boil the meat until cooked through, probably takes about 45 min to 1 hour for turkey breast, depends on the size of your breast. Take the meat out and let it cool before chopping.
- Boil the potatoes and carrots. Let everything cool and start dicing everything.
- Dice the meat, potatoes and carrots, they should all be small pieces about ½ cm by ½ cm. Make sure you drain all the juice from the diced pickles and peas.
- Add all the veggies and meat to a big bowl, then add mayo and mustard, season with salt and pepper and mix everything together. You will end up with a big bowl of salad, traditionally we smooth out the top of the salad with a knife and spread more mayonnaise and smooth that out.
- Cover with plastic wrap and you can refrigerate it for days up to a week.
- Serve salad cold, do not warm it up.
Recipe submitted by Delia from Pontefract.